GOALS ARE SMART!!!!
S – Specific
M – Measurable
A – Action-Oriented
R – Realistic
T – Timely
|Specific||Describe what you want in as much detail as possible|
|Measurable||Describe what you want in terms that can be clearly evaluated|
|Action-Oriented||A goal should focus on actions rather than personal qualities|
|Realistic||A goal should be attainable|
|Timely||A goal should have a completion date|
- Write your tentative goal.
Look at what you have written; check to see that it reflects the characteristics of a well-written goal. Is it…..
If you said “no” to any of the above, you now need to re-write your goal here:
- Next, write the steps you will need to take to reach this goal.
- Think about any obstacles that will keep you from obtaining this goal.
- What resources will help you overcome the obstacles you listed above?
- Do your list of obstacles and resources balance each other out or do your obstacles outweigh your resources? If so, you might want to rewrite or polish your goal statement.
Last Updated: September 21, 2010